2008年1月17日星期四

An Open Mind

Although I was not actually present for Father Steve's speech, I am beginning to get a feel for what an open mind really means. An open mind is obviously not just someone who can speak multiple languages but someone who can absorb the culture at the same time. According to those who were present for his speech, Father Steve can speak eight languages! Imagine that! I find it so difficult to be studying only two at the moment but EIGHT! I really respect those who can dedicate themselves like that and come out on the other end with such knowledge. Also my impression of my surroundings and culture around me will no longer be taken lightly. We live in a society where culture is a major influence in everyday life. Therefore, I am looking forward to possibly going to China and other countries with an open mind in the future. And I'm sure if I was in attendance during his speech I would agree with most of the other Chinese students: that when you are prompted to learn about language and its depth, you are to look not just at the tip of the iceberg but the entire picture.

没有评论: